FW: [RC] Walk? - Mcgann, Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: Mcgann, Barbara
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 11:17 AM
To: 'Dot Wiggins'
Subject: RE: [RC] Walk?

I figured Dot would weigh in on this one, as she consistently rides horses that out-walk everyone in the country!  We all trot to keep up with her.  Her good horse, Tess, would just continually extend her stride an inch at a time and pretty soon, Dot was gone.  Then she rode Andrea's horse Zinger who had a natural fast walk, and Dot soon had him walking more than 5 miles an hour.   THEN, she bought a little short-legged mare and we all thought "Aha, now we can keep up with her at the walk".  That was true for about a year and now the little mare walks as fast or faster than my 15.3 horse.  DANG.  Another time, I had her ride my Mensa who had a terrible, slow, short walk.  By the time we had gone about 3 miles, Mensa was out in front - walking!

The thing you notice about Dot is that even at a walk, her legs are active.  She consistently bumps them in rythm with the stride (alternating sides).  We attended an expo the other day and the trainer was explaining that when a horses hind leg comes forward, he has to move his rib cage slightly out of the way.  By bumping him on the side, you are encouraging him to swing the rib cage just a little further to the side, thus the leg can stride forward further.  Envision a swing set and your leg is the hand pushing the swing.  Of course when you first start doing it, the horse might break into a jog, but you can bring them back and start pushing again.  Eventually they learn that you want them to increase the stride, not break gait.

The other thing that we try to do is recognize the situations which would encourage and reward the horse for walking fast.  Heading home is a perfect time.  Going slightly downhill works great - they want to extend their stride there anyway.  Have a buddy rider go slightly ahead and then rate his or her horse to let you catch up at the walk. If you have a buddy, ask them to walk alongside and slowly increase their speed and  encourage your horse to keep up.

Barb McGann