[RC] [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler? - DreamWeaver

Usually by the time you start seriously asking that question, you are probably getting close to being ready. I think we all probably do our first 100's still asking that question. How do you know? I don't think I'll ever really know the answer to that, tho there is a lot that you can do to put the odds in your favor. Just because you don't complete your first attempt, does not mean that you weren't ready, or that your horse wasn't ready. A lot can go wrong on a 100. If it does, it's a great learning experience; try to do it at your expense, rather than your horse's.

As to whether or not your horse needs to be able to complete a one day 50 in a specified time period -- seems to me like there are too many variables out there. Completing one ride in 9 hours might get your horse a whole lot better prepared than another one he does in 6 hours. Terrain, weather, and actual length of trail can vary considerably as well. I'd say that if a ride is won in 4 hours, then maybe 6 hours is okay---depending upon the terrain and conditions. But if it is won in 6 or 7 hours, then that changes things a bit. Don't get fooled into thinking that you need to do anything by any kind of a schedule or timetable.

My horse Chief's fastest ride time was at a recent ride he did in 7:13. This was after the 1000 mile mark, and his 6th ride after completing his first one day 100. So he may be slow, but he's consistent and getting stronger and wiser with each ride, without it causing him any damage (I hope!). I don't mind putting in this time of a really long slow base on him, because I hope that I will be able to enjoy riding him for several years to come. It is sure hard to have that perspective tho, when you are starting out with your first horse.

I finally figured out that Chief was ready for a 100 when he felt like Superman (believe me, he *wanted* to fly!) on the 4th day of Death Valley. Then he came home looking like he was ready to head back out for another loop. The great things that multidays teach a horse, are how to pace (I really don't think I could have ever learned that by only doing one day rides, even one day 100's), how to take good care of themselves and most importantly, it really lets you test their soundness, your tack fit and if you do it right, it builds them up so that they are Superman (or, Super Horse), and can do 100 miles without it breaking them down or harming them in any way.

I think that most riders who don't complete 100's, went too fast in the first 25 miles or less. Their horses were perfectly capable of completing. But, they get caught up in the start, the excitement.....and often before they reach the first vet check they have already blown the ride. You don't need to be fast to complete a 100. You don't even necessarily have to ride fast to finish well on one. I've been last at the 50 mile point and ended up finishing in or near the top ten.

There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride, especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth. The chance to even get to start a 100 is in itself an accomplishment. But to get to be out there under the stars at night.....it's a really special thing. When I am out there and if I get tired or wore out, I just think about where else would I rather be? Not many other places better than that, when you think of it as being the end result of all the work, effort, time, training, commitment....that it took for you to get there. Enjoy it. It doesn't last nearly long enough. In 24 hours, or less....it's all over.

Other things to consider on a 100 -- if you are going to do one that is a point to point, maybe try a shorter ride that is also a point to point, or at least one loop all out of camp. That way you get some practice packing your crewbags, working with your crew, and your horse gets the idea of going out for longer periods of time. (note: it helps to apologize to your crew in advance) >bg<

Make sure your tack works. This is really important -- saddle pads, girths bridles, bits and splint boots if you use them -- be sure that they don't rub or cause soreness on shorter rides. It helps to have a backup to change to in case something does start to rub during the 100. It could be that you just need to change to a clean pad (or reverse it if it is the same on both sides), or maybe even the same girth but a different size. Splint boots can cause hair to melt off of some sensitive horses legs -- what worked on a 50 may not for a longer ride (another thing you learn on multidays is about your tack choices). If your bit or halter causes rub spots, have something else on hand to change into. Lots of times you don't always know these things are going to happen, until you are out there doing a 100. If you can work them out on shorter rides, multidays, long training rides -- that'll really help.

If you are riding fast 50's all the time, you'll have a hard time completing 100's because you aren't out there long enough to learn how to take care of yourself, the rider. Lots of people have trouble in this department too. If you can't take care of yourself, then you can't take care of your horse. Use the shorter rides (but more difficult, so you are out there longer) to learn how to drink and eat. On a 100 always have a variety of snacks and foods and drinks that you normally like, so that if something doesn't appeal to you hopefully you will have something that does.

Another good thing to do, for your first 100. Look up the last three or four years finishing results. Look at who finished, who didn't, and why. See what their times were -- thru the top ten, and the last riders. Compare this to the type of speeds that you have been riding. Compare the times to what the same riders are riding on the same rides you have done. This gives you a basic idea of what type of pace you need to keep. On rides like Tevis, this can be very important. If you waste 5 or 10 minutes every hour, you may not make it in time. Also, remember that being over time is a lot less of a problem than worrying about where the nearest vet clinic is because your horse just colicked because your rode faster than he was prepared to go.

Talk to other experienced riders, especially ones that have done the 100 you have your sites on. There are so many people willing to help -- just remember to use your own good judgement and that it is important that you seek advice from more than once source. Then, if you aren't sure you are ready this year, see if you can volunteer to go drag ride it. I did this on the last loop of the Virginia City 100. My horses got to do a 25 mile ride (the last 25 of the 100) in the dark. Not only did I not have to pay for this privilege, but I also got fed breakfast, and my horses got some great experience.

Hope I didn't stray too far off topic. It's just that it really helps to be prepared, and even a little bit anal----when you prepare for that first 100. :-)

Karen
in NV

============================================================ I can tell you after sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :) ~ Tina Hicks