Re: [RC] re: lameness - Chris Paus

I'm sure it helps a horse a great deal to switch leads
and diagonals, but I'm not convinced that single
diagonals leads to lameness..

I have an odd shaped body. My right pelvis is tilted
and it makes my right leg as much as an inch shorter
than my left (depending on whether I've had a chiro
adjustmetn recently).

I post on the right diagonal. It's the way my body
works. when I try to post on the left, my horse throws
me to the right diagonal. My left diag posting must be
uncomfortable to him.

We've got a lot of competitive distance miles. He is
17 and has been doing this sport since he was 10. So
far, he's not had lameness issues. The chiro vet I use
on him said his back is getting better and better the
more I ride.

Yes, I'm not doing things in the ideal way, but the
horse compensates for my shortcomings and we get the
job done in the way that keeps us both going down the
   road mile after mile.

chris
--- Cindy Collins <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aside from confirmation and shoeing issues, I
believe the most common
cause of lameness in endurance horses is riders only
posting on one
diagonal and cantering on only one lead.  I also
believe rider imbalance
is a major factor...especially as we age and
accumulate injuries.  Just my
thoughts...Cindy

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle
bags!
~ Heidi Sowards

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton