Re: [RC] why we ride?? - Chris Paus

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I've been using the
delete key a lot lately. Once in a while, I torture
myself by opening one of these LD posts. It would
appear that we have a bunch of lawyers on Ridecamp as
the minutia is argued incessently, particularly when
it comes to the "LD" issue.

I've done 2 "endurance" rides in my life, two 50s,
before I trashed my knee. I'm working my way back up
to those, but for now am content to piddle around in
LD. I consider those "fun rides" a good distance.
Enough that you know you went for a real ride that
day, but not so much that you can't walk again for the
next two weeks...I do want to do 50s again. I doubt
with my health that I could ever do a 100, but I won't
say never. It might happen, who knows.

So am I an endurance rider? Well, I HAVE done
endurance rides, but don't currently. The label isn't
so important to me. I pay my AERC dues. I pay the ride
fees. I go to rides for my own reasons and have fun
and challenge myself and my horse.

My horse's AERC record doesn't look like he's done
much, but we have a cumulative 1,000 miles with our
CTR miles too. So I just call myself a "distance
rider" and am happy with that. I try to stay out of
the politics on either side. Just let me ride, give me
a t-shirt and burger afterwards, and I'm happy. I find
plenty of challenge in any trail whether it's mud,
rivers, rock, hills, heat, cold, whatever.

I'm lucky here in the Central Region that the
"endurance" riders smile and wave and wish us luck as
our paths cross on the trails. At the rides I've done,
everyone is pretty supportive regardless of the
distance. I appreciate the attitude of other riders
here and of RMs and HATE all this incessant arguing.
It's like hard core Republicans and Democrats trying
to change each other's minds. It ain't gonna
happen...so just let it be.

Funny thing, while the arguments go on and on at
Ridecamp, the riders keep riding whatever distance
they choose to do for whatever reason, and for the
most part, have fun doing so.

Whether we do 25s or 100s or multidays, there's
something wrong with us, LOL... we ride in rain, snow,
heat, and  Pay for this Privelege, LOL...In the end,
we bring home trinkets and t-shirts, piles of dirty
stinky ride clothes, sometimes bumps and bruises, and
dirty horses. And of course, great ride stories.

Then we clean ourselves up and do it again a few weeks
later.

I think of my barrel racer friend.. she shakes her
head at me as I describe a ride. She rides for 15
seconds and brings home money, LOL...

chris

--- smuncy <smuncy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
LOL,        sorry,.......... have to laugh, or cry.
at all the discussion that has been going on  for
weeks about LD. As I see it, IMHO....... we are all
members of AERC, we ride in AERC Rides, that by
definition would seem to make one an 'endurance
rider' -- reguardless of actual miles ridden that
day;  25 thru 100 .
LOL.......on  more than one occassion .. usually on
a particulairly 'nasty' section of trail, either too
hot, too cold, or wet...... have thought  or
actually said to person riding with ........ "We're
doing this for the Fame and Glory and MONEY ?
Right."  As for awards........  I have yet to see
one that came close to compensating for time, money,
sweat put into the ride, or preparing for. Thinking
about all the 50 to 80 dollar tee shirts I have.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards