[RC] 76ers - Jonni Jewell

The book is full of vivid pictures depicting the daily struggles, hazards
and fun had amongst friends. Makes me chuckle a little when I think about
the amount of stuff some individuals "need" to make it over a 50 mile
course.
So Tom, could this be repeated or has our country changed so much that it
would be impossible?<<<

It sort of has been repeated. In 2001, riders started in St. Joseph MO., and
rode west to Virginia City NV for a total of 2000 miles. One vet check /
lunch each day. Some riders brought one horse, some brought many. Some had
nice RV's to sleep in at night, others slept in tents or in the backs of
pick ups. The highest mileage horse was a Mustang, who did 1650 miles,
followed by an Icelandic who did 1600 of the 2000 miles. A note on the top
mileage horse, his rider had one of the most basic rigs. They had a 2 horse
trailer, pick up with shell, and brought a tent. The horse was often staked
out by a long rope to graze at night. No frills there! There was one rider
who rode every inch of the trail....a JUNIOR. Imagine that........

Yes, trails have disappeared, and it was a logistic wonder at times, that
Dave Nicholson found trails and dirt roads to ride on that ran close to the
Pony Express trail. We lived like a traveling gypsy caravan, and had the
times of our lives.

This summer, some of us will be doing another ride, this one 1250 miles, and
heading east from Nevada to Nebraska. 50 miles a day, approx. 5 days a week.
Many will bring one or two horses, some of us will have more. The horses and
riders will get stronger and stronger each day, often throwing out that
theory of a days rest for ever 10 miles a horse does at a ride........

Jonni

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown