[RC] 76ers - Amy Cieri

I'm starting to get the endurance bug after a 2 yr. layoff (2 babies in 2 yrs.) and I was paging through a fabulous piece of American endurance history, The Great American Horse Race of 1976. This book is something else. This group of endurance riders traversed 1,966 miles from New York to Sacramento. The book is full of vivid pictures depicting the daily struggles, hazards and fun had amongst friends. Makes me chuckle a little when I think about the amount of stuff some individuals "need" to make it over a 50 mile course.
So Tom, could this be repeated or has our country changed so much that it would be impossible? What did your fellow riders think when they see you show up on a hackney pony - appy cross? How do you go home to the normal hum drum after riding across the country? Someone might ask, "what did you do this summer?" Tom says, "Jose and I thought we'd ride across the country." I can imagine the puzzled response being similar to what we experience when we tell non-riders we ride 100 miles in a day, "WHY!?"
I'd much rather see a movie about this race than Hidalgo. I can only imagine the campfire socials.
Respectfully,
Amy

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS! ~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance