Re: [RC] Angie's 100 Mile comments & New Junior 100 Mile Award - heidi

I think you have to remember why we give rewards or recognition. It's
for hopefully doing something commendable. If I just wanted a jacket,
I'd go buy a jacket.
<snip>
When I look at that jacket I have a feeling of accomplishment.
<snip>
Yesterday I had some people coming to look at a pony we had for sale. I
cleaned my barn, and carefully hung hay bags, bale bags, blankets,
halters and crew bags that I'd won where the words showed. Heck yeah I'm
proud of them...I'm proud of the well ridden miles and rides that they
stand for, not what they are.

Well put, Angie.  It isn't the awards--it's the memories they evoke.

Heck, as you say, if we just wanted that stuff, it would be a WHOLE lot
cheaper, never mind easier, to stay home, save the money, and just go out
and buy it!  I've marveled many times at what I might be able to afford if
I didn't support a herd of horses and then endurance-drive all over the
place to pay good money to go ride somewhere that the miles are measured
and the standards are enforced, where I will see scenery I don't see at
home, ride with people I don't ride with at home, and know that my horse
has met the scrutiny of a bunch of vets besides the one who rides them!
That tattered T-shirt with the faded logo or that beat-up ball cap or that
tea mug are reminders of what we did together.  And if we do enough of it
together to qualify for a year-end award, those are cherished memories
too--to know that we cleared the bar by persevering not over just one
trail, but consistently over many.

Heidi

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins