Re: [RC] LD catagory....? - heidi

Excellent post, Angie.  I know a lot of the LD riders come to be a part of
the endurance ride, even though they don't ride that far themselves.  They
are interested in what the endurance riders are doing, and many aspire to
ride farther someday, or have memories of riding farther when they were
able.  And that is how it should be.  After all, we ARE about endurance
riding, and we need to keep the perspective that LD is a healthy adjunct
to the sport of endurance riding, complete with its own set of folks who
may NOT aspire to go farther.  Part of the LD experience for new riders is
being able to watch the endurance riders coming and going after they
themselves have finished, to see what they feed, how they crew, how they
handle vet checks, to be able to make friends with them, find mentors
among them, pick their brains, etc.  This has proven over time to be a
GOOD SYSTEM.

It never hurts to constantly evaluate the system and make changes where
changes need to be made--but one need not scrap the very valuable concept
in order to make minor repairs.

Heidi

if AERC doesn't start recognizing it as such there will
come a  day when they organize and start rides all on their own,
without any

sanctioning. >
If we don't, they will eventually go elsewhere.

I doubt it. The association with longer distances adds legitimacy and
status. Long before I ever did a 100 I used to design t-shirts for rides
and I always listed all the distances...25, 50 & 100 mile Endurance Ride
because I wanted to be associated with a sport where people went 100
miles even though I didn't yet. I wonder, if you had a choice of
t-shirts at a ride and could either get one that said, "Million Pines 25
mile Ride" or "Million Pines 25 and 50 mile Endurance Ride" ? Which the
average 25 mile completer would choose?

A stand alone 25 mile ride would be over by lunch. I think that would be
a lot more like going to a horse show...a day activity where you're home
for supper...no reason to set up a camp. Really no reason not to haul
the horse in that morning or leave that evening. Nothing to watch after
it's over. The "winners" would ask for their award and leave by 10:30
AM. No goal of going farther, just faster and  getting done by
what....9:30?

I find it bizarre that an organization called the American Endurance
Ride Conference gives out a whole separate set of awards for people who
are literally done by 10 AM and no separate awards for people who choose
to try 100's. The bonus point advantage is easily cancelled out by the
higher attrition rate. The financial gamble is higher, we don't have
incentives for them to do it, if anything we offer every incentive for
them to stay in the lower distances and it's showing up in the numbers.
People who do 100's do it for personal reasons...period. I don't have a
horse to ride in 100's right now so I'm not speaking for myself but if
any group gets shortchanged that's where I see it happening, funny how
you never hear them complaining.

Angie

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart