[RC] LD catagory....? - rides2far

if AERC doesn't start recognizing it as such there will
come a  day when they organize and start rides all on their own,
without any

sanctioning. >
If we don't, they will eventually go elsewhere.

I doubt it. The association with longer distances adds legitimacy and
status. Long before I ever did a 100 I used to design t-shirts for rides
and I always listed all the distances...25, 50 & 100 mile Endurance Ride
because I wanted to be associated with a sport where people went 100
miles even though I didn't yet. I wonder, if you had a choice of t-shirts
at a ride and could either get one that said, "Million Pines 25 mile
Ride" or "Million Pines 25 and 50 mile Endurance Ride" ? Which the
average 25 mile completer would choose?

A stand alone 25 mile ride would be over by lunch. I think that would be
a lot more like going to a horse show...a day activity where you're home
for supper...no reason to set up a camp. Really no reason not to haul the
horse in that morning or leave that evening. Nothing to watch after it's
over. The "winners" would ask for their award and leave by 10:30 AM. No
goal of going farther, just faster and  getting done by what....9:30?

I find it bizarre that an organization called the American Endurance Ride
Conference gives out a whole separate set of awards for people who are
literally done by 10 AM and no separate awards for people who choose to
try 100's. The bonus point advantage is easily cancelled out by the
higher attrition rate. The financial gamble is higher, we don't have
incentives for them to do it, if anything we offer every incentive for
them to stay in the lower distances and it's showing up in the numbers.
People who do 100's do it for personal reasons...period. I don't have a
horse to ride in 100's right now so I'm not speaking for myself but if
any group gets shortchanged that's where I see it happening, funny how
you never hear them complaining.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland