Re: [RC] LD/Endurance/BC - heidi

But it wouldn't take a by-laws change to say roll the LD miles into
lifetime miles for either horse and/or rider.

Uh, yes it would.  There are lifetime endurance miles and lifetime LD
miles.  If you want to combine your own total for your own purposes, that
is certainly your perogative.  But endurance lifetime miles are still just
that.

The AERC is growing and I suspect the demographics of the membership is
changing. The only constant in the universe is change. How many people
say, "I'm going to the Bo Diddly Memorial ride and doing the LD," I'm
going to the Bo Diddly Memorial ride and doing the 25." I've heard the
latter - don't remember hearing the former unless it was a scarastic
response to a comment.

Huh.  I'd say I hear it about 50-50 here, and can't recall ever having
heard the "LD" term used sarcastically.  I personally say "I rode the LD"
rather than "I rode the 25."  And I know a lot of others who do, too.

How many people "just do 50's or 100's?" - vs. "how many might ride a 25
 one weekend and a 50 the next?  All tells me that for the average rank
and file member that does only a ride or two a year - which is the
majority - the 25 is considered an "endurance" ride.

I've ridden both.  And may well ride both in the future.  I can't for the
life of me imagine wanting to have my LD  miles lumped in with my
endurance miles.  And while I do see a few folks who consider the LDs to
be "endurance" in their own minds, most seem to think of them exactly as
AERC intended--as fun, or training, or a way to get experience, or
whatever, and an opportunity to come out to the endurance ride and
participate without having to actually RIDE the endurance ride.  Yes, we
have a few career LDers here--and as near as I can tell, they don't need
to be relabeled in order to enjoy what they do.  Most of the others either
aspire to endurance and consider the LDs to be training rides for either
themselves or their horses, or freely admit that they are riding the LD
because they haven't had time to prepare for the endurance ride and just
want to come out and have fun.  Not a thing wrong with ANY of those
reasons.  Been there done that myself.

There are subtle signs out there - for example number of starters in LD
is growing fast and the number of starters in 100 mile rides is
declining just as fast - to indicate the every present forces of change
are having their impact. There has been a tremendious change in the
sport over the past 10 years and I expect there will be just as much
over the next 10. Someday there most likely won't be enough LD bashers
around - so this subject won't rear its head on a periodic basis.

I don't think the numbers necessarily support the conclusion that the
current policy with respect to rides less than 50 miles needs to alter.
The growing numbers of LD riders indicate a) new people coming into the
sport, and b) people who are comfortable being LD riders.  The declining
number of 100s represents a) fewer people with time to make the effort, b)
fewer opportunities to ride 100 miles, and c) fewer horses being bred that
are capable at that distance.  If anything, the numbers suggest that we
need to make it even MORE enticing to strive for the 100-mile distance,
instead of diluting the sport further, IMO.

Furthermore, I don't see where very much of this discussion can be
construed as "bashing" LD.  Calling a spade a spade is not an insult to
the spade.  Calling it a club or a heart or a diamond is evading the
issue.

Heidi

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers