[RC] Half-Endurance, Endurance, Ultra-Endurance - Timothy Worden

According to the numbers, LD is a large and growing
population among AERC competitions....in some regions
more than others.   Does LD/Endurance need to be
redefined?  I think things are going pretty good as
they are.  But I do have some thoughts if the
structure of AERC and mileage definitions were to
change.

Ok, lets say a vote passes and mileage for 25-35 mile
events are now counted equal with 50-100 mile
endurance events.  That would do away with the "LD"
program by definition.  Now that mileage is counted in
the one pot all we need to do is define a point
structure to go along with the mileage.  We'll say
100miles, we'll call it Ultra Endurance, is the base
to receive full points for completion based on
placement and weight division.  Now 50-75 miles, we
call Endurance, will received half the base points
with regards to placing and weight that the Ultra
Endurance riders would receive.  Now the 25-35, or
Half Endurance, would receive a quarter of the points
with regards to placing and weight that the Ultra
Endurance riders would receive.  Now we have one point
system to base off of where riders would receive year
end awards.  Awards can still be broken down into
National, Weight, and Region.

Along the same lines, the BC structure could be based
off the same idea.  Each of the 3 distance events (I
want to avoid the term divisions) would have a BC.
Again, Ultra BC receives full BC points, Endurance
half, and Half-Endurance received a quarter of the BC
points towards year end awards.

By my definition, I'm an Endurance rider.  But I can
do a Half-Endurance ride and receive mileage and
points on my record, just not as many as Endurance or
Ultra Endurance distance riders.  My ultimate goal
though is to become an Ultra-Endurance rider.

Tim
It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano