Re: [RC] 19 year old horse with arthritis - Susan_Bothern

Your mare isn't that bad, yet.  One of the best things you can do for her,
is to keep her exercised.  I don't know your terrain, but don't make it too
demanding.  Lots of walking and trotting, with the occasional canter.
Instead of Adequan, which I haven't seen much results with my older horses,
I like Legends.  You can give it in the specific joint, but for the oldsters
I like having the vet give it IV and the body utilizes it where it's needed.
Like you, I don't like the routine use of Bute, but there are herbal
substances out there that do work.  One is Devil's Claw-Yucca, often sold as
DC-Y.  The other is Buteless (I think it just changed names).  Some of the
over the counter joint supplements also have anti-inflammatories in them.  I
would put your mare on a daily joint supplement that includes Ester-C.  I
would also put her on MSM.  Now, I know what the recommended dose is, but
you might find you get better results if you keep her on the loading dose
for a long time.  I happen to like the liquid better than the powder, but
it's one of those things that takes some trial and error.

Our Arab mare is 20+.  She was given to us 3 years ago, in about the same
condition your mare is.  I have followed the same regime I've suggested to
you.  This mare is still on the trails (we're eastern NC, so no real hills),
does some 4H shows, and can do small cavallettis occasionally.  The only
resistance I get is her right lead canter.  OK, we can live with that b/c
she's such a terrific gal.

BTW, when money permits I do recommend getting some baseline x-rays.  Will
help you down the road to determine if you are seeing more damage,
degenerated joints, etc.

Susan Bothern

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland