Re: [RC] Grand Island-Rapid River Conditions - Kari Hanes

Maggie,
Hubby wants me to stick with the 25 LD for now and maybe try a 50 later in the season. We won't be able to come until Saturday because of his work schedule. That's another reason for us only doing the 25. Maybe we'll get lucky and a few people will have pulled out by then and we'll get one of those "prime" spots! So do you cross a small river on a wooden bridge or each individually? Bridges we've worked on, but for a small river hopefully we'll be riding with another horse to follow through. My mare still thinks running water is the work of the devil! If it's small enough to jump over she'll do it but I have yet to have her calmly walk through it. Thanks for all the info!
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

Maggie Mieske wrote:

Kari,
You should have talked to us at Becke's ride.  I love the Grand Island ride!
The ride is out and back and the vet  checks are all out.  What distance are
you wanting to do?  The trail is WONDERFUL and a mix of everything but not
terribly rocky.  The trail is beautiful, lots of wildflowers.  You get to
cross a small river and a wooden bridge (depending on the distance).  Of
course, seeing all this is dependent on the weather.  It could be nice and
cool, or hot and muggy and thunderstorms or snowing.  :)  And chances are
the bugs will make you scream.  Those face masks for people are a good idea
for vet checks!  Anyway,  I am doing the 100 there.  It is easy to leave
buckets out and Nelson can direct you as to some good spots and tell you
about the out checks.  I will say to GET THERE EARLY if you want a good
spot.  We go up Thursday or else you'll be stuck in a less than desirable
spot.
You'll be ok crossing the bridge.  The Bridge Authority will escort you
across if you ask.  You can get off before the bridge and find them and ask.
But it's really not that big of a deal.  If it is dangerous, they will close
the bridge but that doesn't happen very often.  Really.  Just look straight
ahead and pretend you are NOT on the bridge.  :)  Hope to see you there!
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."
Christopher Reeve

There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhall