Re: [RC] Appendix Quarter horse - Susan Young

Diane,
I'm a firm believer that the individual horse will determine the appropriateness for endurance.

Having said that, I have an Appendix QH gelding...21 this year.  He's my field hunter.  You talk about conditioning!!!  This boy has a trot that will not quit and he recovers very quickly.  He has his problems and wouldn't make an endurance prospect but your mare may not have those problems.

I say give her a go and see what happens.  Her muscle mass may slow down her recovery so you may wish to go for miles rather than wins.  But, she may have her nitch in the sport.

P.S. There are 7 OCER rides left in the season.  Let me know if you want to renew your OCER membership.  We miss you.

Diane Conklin <conklinapps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have aquired an athletic appendix quarter horse mare from a friend that needed money and am wondering if she would make a good endurance horse. She is big chested but isn't real bulky like a lot of quarter horses. She's 15 years old but in good shape and likes to go. Any opinions to share?

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)