[RC] Trail Closure - Part 2 - sandy . l . holder

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding equestrian access in California State Parks in the San Luis Obispo County area.  I apologize for taking some time to return your email, but I received a number of emails and letters and wanted to be certain I was able to provide a clear and full response.

We support the continued use of the parks by equestrians and have no intention of eliminating equestrian opportunities in parks.  There has been informal use of many trails and beach areas for many years.  Unfortunately, none of these areas were formally designated as open to equestrians even though we clearly allowed and encouraged equestrian use.

We are in the process of correcting this oversight by issuing a Superintendent’s posted order that formally designates approximately 35 miles of trails open to equestrians.  There is no plan or intent to close these trails.

There are resource management concerns that we have to address throughout California State Parks.  These include protection of threatened and endangered species, protection of sensitive habitats and erosion control.  Sometimes trails or areas may be closed, either temporarily or permanently, to accomplish these management needs.

The specific areas that are currently of concern are the Morro Dunes Natural Preserve in Montaña de Oro State Park which includes the back bay and the sandspit, Morro Strand State Beach and the Cerro Cabrillo area in Morro Bay State Park.  The concerns in these areas include protection of the Western Snowy Plover, endangered plant habitat and erosion issues.  No decision to close these areas to equestrian use has been made.

These areas will continue to be open to equestrians until we can assemble an advisory group made up of the trail users to assist us in making a decision that allows as much access as possible while providing protection to the resources in these areas.  That solution may include seasonal closures, a permanent closure or no closures at all and simply different maintenance and management of the areas.

We are always interested in hearing from the visitors and appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Franco
District Superintendent

Nicholas Franco
District Superintendent
California State Parks
San Luis Obispo Coast District
750 Hearst Castle Road
San Simeon, CA  93452-9741
(805) 927-2065
fax (805) 927-2031
nfranco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Regiena and Felicia, Assistants 'ȳ{gq'ۭ8^wf+myج{^םyr~^'+r!b+u޲ǝjwfk'(֢'~'^ؚ+vfz { ޶h*'v+,zhjبǨ~jHڟ&*'zޖ&q멢{aȧ~jبz(+z{b'^Z^{^ם"'+)bn+^tqyaȧz讙^jǜ{Zrazǧuڝ^^j׫_'(zߢ{