Re: [RC] LMMR part two - heidi

  So...I can't imagine a whole endurance ride of horses going along on a
muddy trail....in parts of Calif this would ruin the trail for
years.....

  Again, not being critical here, but curious as to what protocol is in
parts of the country that get rain on a more regular basis....

I can't speak for Maggie's part of the country, but can offer the
following general comments...

1)  Whether this is an issue depends a lot on the soil types.  I've worked
in areas where horses could go through and make a muddy mess like this and
in two weeks, you'd never know anything had gone on there.

2)  Erosion is also an issue.  If the area is relatively flat, then you
are not apt to get erosion from the traffic, hence no issue.  If it is
steep, it is a whole nuther story.  Additionally, horse tracks tend to cup
the water, whereas wheeled vehicles cause ruts that REALLY start erosion
going--so horse use in such instances is far less of an issue than, say, a
bicycle race...

3)  Many times the "damage" issue is blown WAY out of proportion by
regulatory agencies and is an excuse for them to flex their muscles.

In any event, you have to know your area and know how "real" the threat of
long-term damage is.  In many cases it IS real.  But in many other cases,
it is negligible.

Heidi

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins