RE: [RC] Flax Seed--To Grind or Not? - Stewart, Carrie

I have tried it both ways.  First, when I grind, I see a noticeable
difference in my horses' coat quicker.  Second, there is a difference in
volume of a cup of ground flax and a cup of un-ground flax.  For every
whole seed cup I grind, I get 1 1/2 cups ground.  I feed 1/2 cup a day
to my hardest keepers (have not met any that needed more than that) and
1/4 cup to my easiest.  That's per day.
I can grind a cup of flax seed at a time in my blender.  Any more and it
gums up and any less and the seeds fly all over the place.
I have tried oil and black oil sunflower seeds and neither do as good a
job as ground flax.  I grind a large coffee can full and store it in my
refrigerator.  It lasts 5 horses about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks depending on the
horses.  As long as it's kept cool and dry it will keep for at least 2
weeks.

Carrie Stewart
Central Region

it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano