[RC] Biltmore 50 - Roger Rittenhouse

Angie wrote
Roger Rittenhouse: First big (I think that said big) 50 finish. Great
Ride.

Well, actually what I wrote was
Horse's first BILTMORE 50   (BM) finish....

The rest of the story. I will try to do a write-up with some comments
this week.

SHORT SUMMARY
This was the ride I caused a metabolic problem for him in 2000. I over
rode him-  rider error. Wrote the whole thing up here. Thought I knew
it all and could not make a mistake like that...

I think I can say:
I learned from my mistakes, made my horse stronger, rode smarter, kept
my ego in check, knew my horse better, rode  him within his ability
and  level of condition for that trail on  that day .. at a pace that
insures I end up with a healthy sound horse at the end.

This ride was intense at best. Really had to get into the 'zone'
for this ride. I was a wreck all last week, doing mind games.

I rode about 1/2 way with a great rider and her horse, Irina Jocher
and Mystic. (also from the 'magic Million Pines 50 ride') I really owe
her a great gratitude, since she was my speed monitor or mentor , to
insure we rode to the plan and did not make the critical error so
many make at the BM - over ride the horse on the first loop.

He was just great all day. I rode to plan, to finish in 8 to 8 1/2
hrs. How close is 8:17?
Here is another really weird stat.. the MP 50 of 4 weeks ago ride
time was 8:14. Something about those 4 hr 25 mile splits.?

I guess all those well ridden LDs paid off??

The ride was great from the perspective of the venue, the trails,
and vetting.

However, he said---

This was my first AERC/FEI ride. I worked many of the
Biltmore AERC/FEI rides.  I had not seen the effects of a hi profile FEI ride
and the
spill over to the AERC open ride from a RIDER'S perspective before.
I MAY write more on what I thought of it  later.

Without a lot of negative commentary, I was not too pleased. I have to agree
with Jim Holland to some degree on his issues from years ago.  (how
about that JH)

I will address my comments to Ann later after I give more thought to the
issues and offer some suggestions.. I can tell it like I see it in a
direct letter to Ann, rather then try to be 'PC nice' in a public
post :).

If I had to make a decision today, to ride a combo FEI/AERC ride again (that
is the Biltmore) next year. I would not...

Roger R SE 8263

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris