[RC] Fort Dodge Vaccine problems - beth glover

Hi Raven; Thanks for the letter --the FDA warning. I was just thinking about Fort Dodge today. My mare Summer ( Sioux Taboo) has horizontal lines on her hooves growing down, and they are just about to the nailholes. The shoer told me they won't be a problem because they are not where the nails go. But I've had several people, including my vet, ask me if she had had a fever, or was sick a few months ago. One person pinpointed it to around October. I was thinking that maybe it was when I moved her from NATRC to her first AERC fifty, and maybe it stressed her more than I thought. Even though we went carefully and she finished easily with  A's. So I don't think that caused the "fever". But then I remembered that earlier,  about the month before that ride, I gave my four Arabs all their vaccines ( 4 way, Tetanus) from Fort Dodge, and I think I may have actually asked on ridecamp about it, because they all reacted. My yearling colt, Quantum, and his dam Solstice went off th eir feed and were lethargic. Passion became lethargic, sulky, held her head to the left, staggered, had a bloody sclera on her left eye, and was off her feed.  Her neck was swollen and painful. Summer got lethargic, off of her feed, stocked way up on all four legs. All were tender at the sight of injection.  Oh and I am a twenty plus year RN, and I have given tons of shots to animals, so it was not my technique, nor the cleanliness of the shot that I gave. It scared the crap out of me, I was afraid I was gonna have intensively sick horses, a whole herd of them, and who can afford to pay for that! Per my vet's recommendation, we wound up Bute-ing all of them, and they were all uselessly miserable for about a week. It was scarey, and when I talked to my shoer about it, he thinks that may have been the trigger to make the hoof cracks in Summer's hooves. Summer has had mild reactions before, but not my whole herd, and not so miserable like they were.  Sheez.  Glad I don't have stock in that pharmaceutical company, and I sure as shooting will avoid their products in the future.

Beth ( leary about FD, giving it the evil eye)

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar ? get it now! ============================================================ You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our sport has to offer, you need to do both of those. ~ Joe Long ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ============================================================