Re: [RC] rider fear - Suzi Maiorisi

Oh yes, Morgans do it too!  Holly and I came around a cedar tree one day to be greeted by a young bull barreling through the wooded lot...POOF! Whip, 180 and I was down!  I was focused on the Longhorns on the other side of the road and what a beautiful day it was and didn't even know this pasture had anything (besides deer) living in it til he arrived!  It's (so far) the only time I've come off of her and it certainly opened my eyes about drifting off to dream while riding.  Every time we rode past that pasture after that the bull would do the same thing...we moved to the other side of the road 100 yds on either side of his fence to avoid his company in the future...I think he's now in somebody's freezer as he no longer greets us Smiley emoticon
Suzi and Holly
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 10:29 PM
Subject: [RC] rider fear

Of course horses spook just for fun and to see if the rider is awake and aware.  I have had some legit spooks.  One was the horse eating logging machine, and the other were the surprise horses coming around the corner at us.  At least my mare didn't spook at the semi that greeted us on a 2 track.  She leaped off the trail instead and took me with her.  All horses spook if something scares them.  It behooves the rider to be aware of his/her surroundings, and to be a fairly decent rider.  And remember, an arab's fourth gait is the spook!  Jeanie