From: "Jim Mitchell" <navion2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AERC-Members] LD convention vote again
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 16:08:53 -0700

In response to my thoughts on AERC's role in the latest LD rule and rules in general Randy talked about growing the organization. To recap my earlier thought it was that AERC needs to not dictate every detail to ride managers. Randy even mentioned (quote from his post) and to represent the majority interests without disenfranchising the minority interests.
I believe you grow the organization by letting people decide what they want endurance to be. You don't grow it by disenfranchising a large west coast minority or possibly majority that want to make there own decisions on how to offer BC. Obviously there are a significant group opposed to this possible action by AERC BOD on the west coast. So why not let the riders decide by letting them choose the rides to go to? How does mandating this follow the goals of AERC which are to promote endurance riding, education, records, trails?
Currently the rules (9.2 and L9.2) say that the use of the AERC Best Condition system is optional with ride management. This applies to both LD and endurance. I believe this is the rule Maryben was referring to when she felt the Thursday night vote was moot. So if you want all riders to get judged under AERC rules for BC this must be changed for all distances.
Tevis does not use the AERC BC system, so will you require all LD rides to use the AERC system but not endurance rides? Or will you grandfather Tevis out but no others? I think it is easier to leave things alone and let the ride managers and the riders decide. (I seem to be repeating myself)

This recent thread is about one rule about LD rides, I do not mean to imply any preference on my part toward any distance's rules. My point and hope is to minimize the control AERC tries to have over ride managers and the many facets of a ride. I have been a business owner for over 20 years now, and everytime the government passes new rules to correct some perceived problem they just create more problems and stifle individuality. I am trying to influence AERC not to follow the same road all regulatory bodies seem to follow. That of becoming a body with so many rules and regulations nothing innovative happens. Less rules not more, let the sport grow in many directions, unpopular ideas (like not awarding an AERC LD BC) will die if no riders support them.
Funny I just read the VP message online, a big tent allows for individual freedoms.

Jim

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long