Re: [RC] rider fear - Barbara McCrary

I am riding a spooky Arab who is also inclined to jump, usually in place, at
a burned log, a patch of sunlight on the forest floor.....that kind of
thing.  I just rode him at a walk, up hill, down hill, everywhere for the
first 18 months after I bought him.  When I found out that he didn't bolt,
run away, spin 180, or any of that stuff, I started to relax.  My
instinctive reactions are fast enough to keep me on the horse, and soon I
felt my life was not being threatened.  In nearly two years, he's not
managed to unload me, although he came close once, doing what I call the
crouch and spin thing.  But he only turns 90 degrees, not 180, so that's
easier to manage.  At that particular time, I threw my arms around his neck
and hung on.  He doesn't run away, just finishes his spook and stops.
Often, his spooks are just a jump in place or a complete stop.  I do a lot
of riding hanging on to his mane :-))  I'm planning to rig up a panic strap
attached to his breastplate, so I don't end up pulling his mane out.  I
really think he's becoming less spooky with time and experience.  He came
from open country where there were no trees or forests, and limbs and light
and shadow bothered him a lot at first.  Maybe if you spend lots of time
just walking, eventually he will become less spooky and you will become more
confident.  Your confidence is very important in this equation.  I'm not
sure lessons will do much good, unless you are not an experienced rider.
You just have to deal with his idiosyncrasies and develop your balance,
reaction time, and self-confidence.

Barbara