Re: [RC] rider fear - Barbara McCrary

Someone told me once, "Focus on where you want the horse to go, not on what's coming up on the trail."  Example:  There's a something or other on the trail ahead that you just know the horse is going to spook at; you should focus on the part of the trail beyond that something, and theoretically, the horse will go where you are looking.  I've known it to be helpful.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] rider fear

In a message dated 5/8/2004 11:23:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, DESERTRYDR1@xxxxxxx writes:
Try a centered riding exercise
that involves opening your focus to look at the wider picture--the whole
landscape.  I forget what this technique is called, but the point is that if your are
looking at the wider picture, you aren't focusing on ONE spooky.  Look past
spookies when you encounter them, or to one side.
It's called "soft eyes" and keeps you from hard focusing on things...the horse can feel that.

mel