RE: [RC] : What will they think of next (Poop Patrol) - kssnodgrass

I board my mare in a Cleveland suburb.  We are about as urban a stable as
you will get.  Before the grade railroad crossing behind the barn was
removed, we used to ride over the tracks, through a housing development and
into the Cleveland Metroparks.  Some of the people in the housing
development complained to the city if the horses pooped in the street in
front of their houses and we were told we needed to pick it up or we could
possible be fined or lose access (mind you we were riding in the street and
have legal access there according to the state of Ohio).

We decided to create a "Poop Patrol" and after a trail ride, one or two
people would drive back with a shovel and muck tub and clean up the streets.
Of course this assumed that the folks that wanted the manure for their
compost piles hadn't already taken it or a car hadn't smooshed it flat on
the pavement.  Although the poop might have been there for a few hours, the
fact that we made the effort to come back and clean it up safely was
considered a fair compromise.  Hopefully folks will be able to work it out.
(I have never understood why people would move to the country and complain
about the farm smells, or move in next to a railroad track or interstate
highway and complain about the noise.)

-Karen (in VERY cold NE Ohio)