RE: [RC] Camper vs. LQ Gooseneck - David LeBlanc

Tracy Browne said:

But thanks to that tent, I convinced my husband to invest in
a camper or LQ trailer.

My question is: how to decide which?  There are pros/cons of each.

I would like feedback from anyone who has recently made this
decision as to why you went the way you did.

We had a similar experience - we woke up one morning with ice inside the
tent from where our breath condensed. We ended up with a Featherlite early
the next year.

We've had our's almost 4 years. Here's my thinking - if I had a camper on
the back of the truck, it would rarely come off. That would mean that the
truck would have limited utility as a truck. I've helped people get campers
on and off trucks, and it is a lot more work than unhooking a gooseneck.

Another factor is that a camper raises the center of gravity of the
combination, and it raises the side surface area. It's harder to drive a
camper-trailer combo through side winds than a properly matched truck-LQ
trailer. I think the truck with LQ trailer is a safer combo. The loads are
better placed. The camper often reduces visibility - your truck is wider
than the trailer, so it is hard to tell where the trailer is. OTOH, there's
less need to know where it is if it is just a bumper pull.

A downside to the trailer with LQ is that there isn't much ground clearance.
You can get the camper and bumper pull into more places.

One thing to consider is that you have to match the two - a F-250 or F-350
is good to haul a combination of 20,000# - that's everything together. We
have a 4h, 13' LQ trailer, and it is nice, but we ended up with a F-550 to
pull it safely. A 3h 10' LQ trailer would be a good match for a F-350 (or a
Chevy 3500 or a Dodge 3500), and a 10' LQ gives you a lot of room.

Of course, our attitude towards camping without horses is why? I see little
to no need to use vacation to do anything other than ride, but YMMV.

A third option is the RV pulling a trailer, and I know people that are very
happy with that.

My $0.02 -