Re: [RC] Camper vs. LQ Gooseneck - Karen Sullivan

Tracy,

I have done both, (and priced out both) and to me, the issues are how many
horses do you want to haul, and do you ever want to camp without horses?  My
previous set up was camper on truck, and 5 horse ( 18 ft) aluminum trailer.
If you want to camp a lot of people and haul a lot of horses, that seems to
be the most cost effective way to go, unless you want to haul a monster long
LQ trailer.  I have a one ton truck, and could take the family of four and
the five horses and not be too long overall to manuver, etc.  I also feel
for the price, you will send more money on the same amenities in a LQ that
you get in a camper.  The camper allows you to camp places without the
horses; my stock trailer could also haul other "stuff".  The camper can also
come off, and the truck be used as a truck.  If you have a proper hitch set
up (sway bars if the camper hangs over the end of the truck),  and rated for
the weight (especially if you have an extended hitch), then you will be able
to haul, turn and back almost as well as a LQ trailer...(again, depends on
length of trailer).

I just took my camper off the truck, added a gooseneck hitch, and bought a
very small LQ trailer.  Why?  Because I am downsizing and no longer want to
haul 5 horses.  I have a 3h slant, with a very small but complete LQ (5 ft.
short wall), and will convert first stall to tack (still be able to fit in 3
horses). I will eliminate the back tack.  It is heavier than my 5 h stock
trailer, but 1,000 lbs under my previous weight with trailer AND camper.  By
comparison, the LQ is much, much smaller, with less storage.
I was able to find a 3h slant LQ, all aluminum, slightly used for under
$20,000, but there are not many.....most LQ trailers are more like
$30,000......my trailer is 18', but most are going to be a LOT longer if you
have a LQ with a fold-out dinette, etc.

I also needed to do this as my husband is going to borrow my truck to haul 8
man rowing sculls, and they will hang over the back of the truck, so I
needed the camper off.

Anyway, yes, have camper for sale, and a good deal for all the amenities and
space.   9'10". solar, propane, heat, air, oven, 3 burner stove, dinette,
tons of storage, extra tall sleeping area, queen bed., bathroom with shower,
sleeps 5, very good condition.  If anyone is interested, I can send much
more info and photos.
Karen