[RC] Re:shingles aka equine herpes - CMNewell

My mare was just diagnosed (by an accupuncutalist, not a vet) with shingles aka rhino pneumanitis neurotopic herpes. Sounds like some rest and immune boosting (diet change) is in order, but it's a virus that never goes away. Anyone had experience with this? Should I find a new endurance horse?

Maybe a new acupuncturist. Virtually every horse over the age of one year old has been exposed to and is carrying EHV in latent form.
Is your hose suffering from neurologic deficits? IF not, I'd not be too quick to name her as suffering from neurotropic herpes virus.
--CMNewell, DVM

============================================================ REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you! ~ Heidi Sowards