Re: [RC] [RC] forwarded with permission....ld/BC - heidi

  The one thing that has not been taken into consideration in the
attempt of the board to pass this rule making BC mandatory is the
impact on the ride managers.  Maybe in some rides where there are few
total riders, but when we used to put on a LD ride, many years ago,
there were 75 riders entered in the LD alone.  That makes a big
difference.  Maybe in polling people for the ultimate vote on this
issue, the board should poll the ride managers to see how many of them
are in favor of mandatory BC judging.  Thinking out loud.....or rather
in print............

Barbara, please explain to me this big "impact" on ride managers!  I
managed multiple rides for years, including some pretty big ones (over 150
total entries).  I'd have to look to see if we ever had 75 LD riders, but
we had lots--certainly close to that on occasion.  Personally, I'd think
that the bigger the ride, the LESS difference it makes to the RM!  The
bigger the ride, the bigger the organization, the more vets--much easier
to absorb one more award than if the ride is really tiny!

Those of us who have vetted big rides that have ALWAYS offered an LD BC
and who have managed big rides and have ALWAYS offered an LD BC are
completely at a loss to understand how you will be so "impacted" by this.
It is a drop in the bucket compared to the other things that RMs surmount
with ease.

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton