[RC] REAL Endurance riders AKA Survivor's Trek - Jonni Jewell

Posted for the manager of the Survivor's Trek. (Kind of timely in a way,
with all the LD talk again)
Jonni
************************************

Survivors' Trek I and II, 2004

Well, the old days might be over for real endurance riding.  We held
the Survivors' Trek on May 1 and 2 in the Angeles National Forest, home
of the Sunland Ride and the Old Warriors' Water Hunt.  So few real
endurance riders showed up for this ride of 50 miles per day that I
will name them in no particular order:  Jacqy Gamble, Tara Nollner, and
Melody Wong from the local area, Dick Fonseca, Kim Fuess, Cherry
Stockton, and Monica Bennett from the West Valley communities (Malibu
Ride territory), Sally Freberg, John Parke, and Calina Nicholson.  The
riders left the start, which was a 30-minute drive from the Friday
night basecamp at Weathertop Farm, at 6 am and the leaders arrived at
the 25 mile point for a vet check at about 10:15.  Sally's horse was a
little stiff and sore on one side behind, so she didn't continue.
After an hour hold, the horses left and the leaders reached the finish
line and Saturday night camp at Horse Flats at 2:15 pm.  The net climb
was over 3000 feet.  John Parke finished at 4:15.  Not exactly a killer
course with those stats. Ann Nicholson fed us a delicious dinner and we
had a nice evening around the campfire. On Sunday morning at 10 minutes
to 6, Dick Fonseca, Monica Bennett, John Parke, and Dave Nicholson (who
had vetted the 25 mile check on Saturday, then ridden from there to the
finish) started the course.  They arrived at the first vet check with
Dr. Hugh Hewitt in about 90 minutes after a 15 mile descent from the
start.  They stopped for half an hour, then went on to a second vet
check with Dr. Hewitt  7 miles from the finish line at Weathertop Farm.
 The first three riders arrived at Weathertop at 3:45, with Dave
Nicholson in front.  John Parke finished at 5:45.  The net elevation
change was about 5500 feet down.  The temperature in the Valley was
102.  All the horses were in good shape and all four finished.

We can explain the low turnout pretty easily.  New rides  in real
terrain scare today's endurance riders.  Rides in the Sunland area have
heat, rocks, mountains, and real trails.  None of these things appeal
to modern endurance riders.  We had no limited distance ride.  A
point-to-point ride from the Los Angeles City Limits to pine trees and
ski areas doesn't lend itself well to short courses and those who
aren't used to long hours.  Although riders were provided with plenty
of refreshments and attention at the few vet checks, and water was
available in seven spaced locations on Saturday and ten spaced
locations on Sunday, our riders were still expected to take care of
themselves and their horses as they dealt with the temperatures, the
climbs, and a few imperfect trails.  Admittedly, since sending out
entries is expensive and most riders who come to these rides are the
ones who call and request entries anyway, we simply sent them to those
who asked.  Some information about the ride went out on the net,
pointing out that this would not be a)short;  b)flat;  c)serviced by a
host of volunteers with homemade cookies and lemonade regularly on the
trail;  and d) the camps would be too small for 40-foot trailers with
all the comforts of home.

This was a real endurance ride, straight out of the 70s and 80s, with
the addition of water for the horses, Gatorade, and rider food at the
vet checks.   We're sorry you missed it, but we understand that there
aren't very many Old Warriors and horse Trekkers left out there who can
ride the distance, party around the campfire, and ride again the next
day.  Oh,-- and we can't forget that Dick Fonseca, Monica Bennett, and
John Parke brought real endurance horses which did both days and looked
splendid at the end.  As the sport pursues points, mileage, fame, and
growth, and sanctions rides every weekend during spring and fall and
few if any in summer and winter,  some crazy  managers might just try
to continue providing some real endurance rides, even if they represent
a terrific financial loss each time.

My thanks to the riders who came.  They gave us all the information we
need if we do this ride again.  And my special thanks to Jonni Jewell
who flew out from Texas to help, Cheri Briscoe, who kept records and
handled vet checks, and Sara Zabriskie, who kept people and vehicles
going to the right places.   The Survivors' Trek was last held in 1993,
and two riders-Cindy Crook and Kelly D'Andrea completed both days on a
different course than this one.  Dave and Ann Nicholson assisted  and
inspired the assembly of this year's trails, with Sara Zabriskie and
Calina Nicholson locating and marking routes.  I am also eternally
grateful for excellent trail maps from Tom Harrison
(www.TomHarrisonMaps.com) of the Angeles Forest Front Country and
Angeles Forest High Country.

Cherry Stockton won Saturday on a 17-year old endurance horse, and
Melody Wong got Best Condition.  On Sunday, Dave Nicholson won, and
Dick Fonseca took home the Best Condition trophy.

Maybe it was good that all the point chasers, rule freaks, and modern
riders stayed home.  We didn't worry with nothing but quality riders on
the trail, and everyone was pleased with a lovely weekend, beautiful
trails and views, and the challenge of true endurance course.  My
reward will be taking ribbons down on some of the most spectacular
trails in Southern California.

Roxanne Greene

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop