[RC] Check ligament injury - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
 My Arab-Appy Lippy tore his check ligament in September
of 2002 on a spook.  He took about 5 normal strides and
then started to limp.  We headed home, and within a quarter
mile it was so painful he would not walk on it.  Long story
short, called the vet (Sunday), she said the farrier had quicked
him 2 days before.  Monday morning farrier out, sound as could
be.  No swelling or heat.  For the next 3 months, he was
slightly lame 1 day in 10.  When the vet was out, he was never
off.  He finished his first 30 in November, sound, and after 10
days rest, was off again.  Different vet (took me long enough to
figure THAT one out), ultra sound showed a complete tear.  This
vet compared to to the webbing between your fingers.  If you use
your hands every day, it will stay torn with a little
discomfort.  If you let it heal slightly, it will hurt a lot
when it re-tears.
 So, 2 months stall rest (ACK!), with daily hosing (by that
time it was showing heat and swelling), furicin wraps, slow
acting, oil-based sedative to keep his wits, and after 2
months, grazing turnout if he was calm.  He never had me hand
walk him, he had me start riding after 3 months.  This guy has
the reputation of a "leg-man" in 3-day land of Southern Pines,
NC.  He had me start back with 5 minutes walking, 5 minutes
trotting, repeat twice, and then increase the trotting sets
every other day.  His advice was to do this every day for 2
months, until we were at our pre-injury level of activity.  I
thought that was too ambitious, but were did our first fifty 6
months after the diagnosis, and 4 months after starting back in.
  Just my experience, we've done 4 50s since the injury, no
sign of trouble, hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing it
down!
  Best of luck.
  Deb Ambrose and Lippy
  Aberdeen, NC

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards