RE: [RC] BC's on 25's - Carol

Becky,
I'm pretty much a newbie, but I agree with you, 25's historically seem to be and have been,  training rides for the new horse or new rider , etc... if  riders were awarded BC awards on 25's , then it seems like AERC is  encouraging  them to go faster ( in order to get a BC award for coming in top ten).  Personally, I think whomever suggested this is just trying to boost their number of LD riders, i.e.,  revenues,  by doing this. What other explanation is possible? Personally, as someone who has a new, young horse getting ready to do a 25, I would definitely NOT want to participate in a 25 mile ride that had BC awards, because I think the pace of the ride would be much faster. Historically, hasn't the main purpose of a doing a 25, been to get the young or new horse (or rider) used to the ride situation without the ride frenzy one encounters on the start of a 50 (or to get a new horse in condition)? Obviously, someone who is interested in more than that,  can do CTR's.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Carol