Re: [RC] LD Best Condition - heidi

But this award should be for Limited Distance Horses and Riders.

Lari, I like your way of doing BC.  But what keeps you from still doing
that, even if an AERC BC is awarded so that the LD riders in your region
can also be in competition for a national award?

Why does it always have to be one or the other?  The two concepts ARE NOT
mutually exclusive.

Heck, I personally think High Vet Score is a Big Deal.  The fact that
there is no AERC award for High Vet Score does not stop me as a ride vet
from recognizing the horse that earned it at the awards ceremony.  (Some
ride managers even give an award for it!)  But neither does the fact that
I recognize this horse (who may or may not be the same one that wins BC)
take anything away from the horse that earns the AERC BC award.  Life does
not have to be either/or.  When someone asks you if you want peach pie or
apple cobbler, just say yes!  Keep doing what you're doing if the riders
like it--in addition to whatever standardized system AERC wants so that
riders who want a national award can be eligible for that, too!

I am not adverse to altering the AERC endurance BC system in a manner that
could be more appropriate to LD.  And I think there are lots of good ideas
out there that could be considered.  The main concern seems to be the time
issue.  (Listen up, BoD!)

BUT--the bottom line here is that by opposing a CONSISTENT system across
the country, you are in effect depriving the LD riders in your region of
eligibility for a national award.

Now, that may not be the bottom line for you when you do an LD.  It
certainly isn't the bottom line for me when I do an LD.  My one and only
reason personally to do one is/was to drag my body back to a level that it
could tolerate 50s.  (It took me two to remind me that I had quit riding
because I needed surgery, and then one more after surgery to drag my sorry
carcass back into the game.)  You and I are not typical LD riders.  We are
not the focus of this proposal.  For other folks, this is a valid goal.
Why do we have to shoot them in the foot, just because WE would not care
to ride for that award?

Heidi

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins