[RC] LD Best Condition - Lari Shea

To begin, let me state that when I hear that Becky Hart has spoken, I take her words as endurance gospel.  She's been there, done that, more and better than just about anyone else.  I also happen to agree with her.   I, too, have ridden at all distances in competition, and have produced 25, 50 and 100 mile endurance events for 20 years.  The 50 and 100 mile events are endurance rides.  The 25 mile events are limited distance rides.  I have an equal amount of respect and concern for horses and riders entering all three distances.... the respect and concern are for different considerations, of course, since they are different entities.

I haven't produced an AERC ride for the past 7 years until the WCRT rides I'm putting on this June 26th, but in the past on my 25 mile LD rides, I offered 5 Best Conditioned Horse awards, open only to novice horse/rider combinations, and not awarding for speed or weight.  In other words, if Becky Hart would have ridden a new horse in my 25 mile ride, she wouldn't have been in contention for BC.   If Suzie Q would have bought one of Becky's experienced endurance horses and ridden him in her first 25 miler, her horse wouldn't have been in contention for BC.   Many folks entered my 25 mile LD ride year after year, always in contention for the BC's, since neither they nor their horses had completed a 50 miler.  And they had 5 chances to win, so they rode accordingly.

Was the judging subjective?  Well, I've heard it said two ways:  Which horse would you choose if you're an Indian and the Calvary is coming?  Or, which horse would you choose if you were caught in bed with your best friend's wife?  Nyaahhh~~ that's not subjective.

If you're riding to get away from your best friend or the Calvary, you'd better be on a horse who looks pretty shiny after the first 25 miles.  This horse could probably do 50 miles... or, at least, you hope so.   That's what we hoped in awarding those BC's.  Hey, did I mention that the reason folks rode those miles was for fun?   They knew they weren't riding in Valerie Kanavy's league, or that of Mike Plum, Bruce Davidson or Robert Dover.  And they didn't expect to win the same medals.

Now, just like Becky, I'm not against awarding a Limited Distance horse Best Condition on a 25 miler.  There's lots of ways it can be done.  But don't confuse it with the AERC Best Conditioned Endurance Horse score sheet, which takes into consideration weight and time.  Don't encourage racing at the short marathon length.  A horse should be capable of finishing 50 miles in one day regularly before he should be asked to do 25 miles at a speed likely to place him in the top ten.   At the finish line, some of these 25 mile horses just catch the eye of the vets... maybe because they've been well ridden by a 6 year old kid, like mine sometimes did.  Or because the horse looks like he hasn't been ridden at all.  Sure...  Use the BC vet formula, without weight or time, when doing the final vet check, after the horse has pulsed down to finish.   The finishing time would be noted, of course... we and the vets are all human, and realize that if a horse finished 25 miles in 3 hours, it's a different story than if he took 6 hours.  But the most important concern, to the exclusion of everything except "noticing", is the veterinary condition of that horse.   Of course, if you were trying to outride that Calvary or your best friend, you probably wouldn't choose the slowest horse, no matter how good he looked.

But this award should be for Limited Distance Horses and Riders.   Much as I hate rules, maybe acknowledge that a person or a horse might want to step down from endurance competition, and this year compete at Limited Distance.  In other words, if either of them had competed at Endurance in the past 12 months, they are not in contention for BC at LD this year.  Maybe it should be a 2 year step down.  But encourage folks either to ride LD rides as a break from 50's, to condition new horses, or as their current career, with different prizes available, some tangible, some not.  And they should know that they are not being encouraged to ride at the speed of a top ten placing in doing so.

Lari Shea
AERC # 7048
Finishing about 5000 miles since my first LD ride in 1979.

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                       http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
        Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast
             with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations
 Akhal Teke and Russian Orlov/cross horses for sale