Re: [RC] this post has NOTHING to do with LD ;) --feed changes at rides - heidi sowards

I think it has to do with most show horses "I" know live in
stalls or very tiny turnout 24/7 are taken into a ring and
ridden an hour or so per day, don't have access to much
socialization and end up with more colic/ulcer episodes.
They just don't have much fun, period!

Just my .02 worth!

heidi

--- Andrea Day <fetlocks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Everybody *knows* that you don't make sudden changes in a
horse's diet, but
most riders seem to do just that at rides--

~Dobbin grazes on whatever greens, grass, or weeds he can
scrounge on the
trail, and we STRONGLY encourage him

~Ride management provides hay at out-checks, and we go so
far as to
hand-feed it standing in line for the vet

~lots of riders let their horses munch from left-over
pile to different
left-over pile at checks or around camp or borrow or
trade a flake to
encourage their horse to eat

~various things ranging from pro-bi, glycogen,
electrolytes, applesauce,
alfalfa cubes, beet pulp and other stuff which may or may
not get fed at
home are put into a horse's diet on a ride

~dry-lotted horses are often given as much graze as
possible in camp, while
pastured horses have to munch more hay than usual

~Dobbin gets fed free choice or earlier/later than usual,
eats at every
check, has pretty much free choice when done

After talking with some show horse people the other day
who fight colic all
the time and NEVER vary their horse's diets or feed
times, because they
SWEAR that doing so will automatically colic their
horses, I'm thinking we
don't have whole camps full of horses belly-aching, so
what's the difference
in what we're doing vs. what they're doing?

Do endurance horses get more accustomed to variation and
to eating a
smorgasbord of munchables?

Does feeding small amounts of different feedstuffs on
alternate days
contribute to a horse's being able to tolerate changes in
diet?

A couple more "gee, I wonder" questions--
If probiotics are live critters, is it possible to make a
"growing"
solution of probiotic like sourdough starter?

Could you customize the *critters* to work better with
different diets?

Am doing my "three-rat" study this summer using feedable
DE to control
flies. There are sites out there that suggest that DE can
control intestinal
worms as well.  I'm skeptical--could this be true???
Would there be a
problem feeding DE to a horse with ulcers???

Stop worrying about overloading your inbox - get MSN
Hotmail Extra Storage!

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and
rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd
allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete -
but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine