Re: [RC] this post has NOTHING to do with LD ;) --feed changes at rides - heidi

Do endurance horses get more accustomed to variation and to eating a
smorgasbord of munchables?

Does feeding small amounts of different feedstuffs on alternate days
contribute to a horse's being able to tolerate changes in diet?

You know, Andrea, I think there is some truth to this.  Over the years
I've had a lot of mares come here from a lot of different places.  The
ones that have the TOUGHEST time adjusting are the ones who have ALWAYS
been fed the same diet, at the same time, their whole lives.  The ones who
have had a more varied diet settle right in.

I think it is REALLY stressful for horses to go from NO variation to
almost ANY change in routine.  And while I think SOME degree of regularity
is clearly a good thing, I also think that having a "feeding range"
instead of a "feeding time" has helped my own horses to adapt to traveling
and doing something besides standing around home, along with having some
variation in what they eat.

JMHO.

Heidi

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith