Re: [RC] [RC] Ancient Greeks & Romans - Truman Prevatt

Well if you want to get picky, from the Defense Mapping Agency; DMA Techincal Report: Supplement to Department of Defense World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84); Part II, Parmameters, Formulas, etc. WGS 84 is the datum normally used in GPS.  The following is the current standard.

1 nautical mile = 1852 meters (exact)
1 statute mile = 1609.344 meters (exact)
1 US survey foot = 1200/3937 meters (exact)

That makes a km = .621371192237334 (rounded off) statute miles so 5/8's is off by a few feet ;-) ...LOL
Bet you didn't know I had that six inch report at my finger tips? Anyway what I think I said was 6/10's not 3/4's or at lesat I meant to.

Truman

Howard Bramhall wrote:
Not to ever correct my buddy, Truman, on anything, but I must differ here.  3 years stationed in Germany did teach me something (Eine bierre, bitte).  One kilometer equals 5/8ths of a mile, not 3/4's.  I do remember this for some absurd reason.  The suggested speed on the German autobahn, where they rarely posted a speed limit at all, was 120 KPH, which, equated to 75 MPH.

Back then (not sure how it is now) that was considered a moderate speed, and, if you only went 120 KPH you'd better stay in the right hand land so the Beamers and Mercedes could pass you by.

cya,
Howard (Zwei bierre, bitte)

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.