[RC] redefining endurance - oddfarm

KS Swigart wrote:  I wouldn't want anybody to think
that I want the AERC to redefine endurance ride to only include those
that are 100 miles long, because, make no mistake, if the AERC were to
do this then ride managers would start putting on 100 mile endurance
rides that were only 80 miles long and calling it 100 miles.

What makes you think that??

So that
more riders would be able to finish them and fewer riders would complain
that they were too hard to do or because 100 miles of trail is hard to
find.....much the way many ride managers do this today with the 50 mile
distance.

What??  When a RM measure the trail and it is 49.5 so therefore is a 50, that is a far cry from 80 equaling a 100 mile ride. Don't you think so? We have quite a few 30 and 35 miles rides here in the SE, including my ride. If you think anything over 25 is closer to endurance, why would you think that  30 miles so much "more" endurance than 25?

"Mileage over 50 must be a multiple of 5 ending in a 0 or 5, whichever is the nearest whole number to the actual ride mileage." Ride length 1.1.1. I can't remember ever seeing a 50 that was so short (44 instead of 50) in our area. (SE) To imply that RM's don't take the distance measuring seriously is a tad obnoxious.

Do tell, what RM in their right mind, wants to deal with a rider who is going to bitch about the length or the conditions of the trail? There is always someone who says it was too long, or too short according to their GPS, time or pace, the distance of the sun to the parking lot or the way the grass color changed from loop to loop. Never mind that we, (RM'S) use car odometers, mileage wheels, aerial maps, county records, whatever we can find to accurately mark the trails for the riders. I doubt a RM looks at the trails and says, "Oh well, close enough." if it is 6 miles off.

No one has to pretend a thing.  Unless you want to pretend you went to the ride, but didn't. Then you could also pretend it was a great ride and you had a great time.

I would say that a RM would rather put on a 50 that is accurate and not have to listen to the members of the Official Piss, Bitch and Moan club than to put on a 75 or 100 that might be 6 miles (?) short and deal with those members for the rest of the weekend. Even if you don't have one drink after all is said and done, all that whining after putting on a weekend of activities for OTHER people is enough to make you cuss like a sailor and look for your boxing gloves.

Luckily my mom was there and told me to watch my mouth and settle down. Wait, that is another story.

My guess it that RM's work real hard to accurately measure ALL distances just to make riders like you.......happy. However, some people are never happy, no matter what.

For anybody going on a ride this weekend, try to enjoy it for what it is to you. Whatever distance you go, pace you set, breed you ride or truck you drive to get there. If your not going to a ride, get out and ride anyway. We all spend to much time on this damn computer.

Lisa Salas, the odd fArm and Corona Ranch signing off so I can paint my daughter's room before she goes off to college. I have three years but that is cutting it close. ;)