[RC] any horse/25 miles - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sandra Esposito probrainstormer@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have to say that after riding drag for the 30 mile LD at
Californios Lite (WAY TO GO MARGE AND VERN, GREAT JOB!)That Reasonable shape is
very subjective, I followed a couple
riding horses that they "pleasure rode" and after TEN hours
they came into camp. Giving them credit they did not push
their horses. But, riding 3mph was painful. Beautiful PCT
single track and wide dirt roads, shade, sun, long climbs,
some flat. When they knew that they were not coming in
"ON TIME" they pulled off and told me to go on. I wouldn't
leave them there 'cuz it was my 'job' to bring them in alive!
They didn't have enough water (his horse spooked from carrying
anything)so they were really in trouble in the water dept.
(Had they done the ride in a reasonable amount of time they
MIGHT have been OK.) I know that LD's are "training rides".
I do not think that any body should use them as conditioning
rides. (as this couple admited)I rode FAR behind them so that
most of the time they could not even see me, I wanted them
to ride their ride. I also didn't want to open my mouth and
tell them what I thought of them riding out of shape
"sausages". Reasonable shape is subjective, it was not fair
to these two horses to ride them 30 miles, in the mountains
of L.A. Leave your trail horse at home, pull yourself from
the endurance race if your endurance horse can't go. Just to ride the ride at
the horses expence is selfish. And for what it is worth, the ride that I did
WAS endurance!

REAL endurance is dressing for 20 degrees in the AM and by noon its 85
degrees!
~ Heidi Sowards