[RC] Hoo supplements - Julie Fuller

Laura,

I know that when I had my gelding treated years ago, I had a hell of a time with his feet as a result of the meds..... He was on Trimeth/sulpha for 6 weeks the first time around, and Naxel for over a month the second time, 9 months later.

He damn near foundered both times.... lots of heat in his feet, more than likely due to gut changes from all the meds. He was on probiotics constantly, and I spent HOURS hosing his feet during his treatments. I didn't get much sleep, but it paid off in the end. He ended up with a line of "seedy toe" about 3/8th inches wide in all four feet, but never progressed beyond uncomfortable during treatment... no blow outs, no rotation to speak of.

He had awesome feet to begin with... upright, perfect foot with thick walls, cuppy sole... just perfect. After treatments, his feet were nearly as good, (except for the line) and after his whole hoof grew out, his walls, sole, etc were just as good as before. I had him on vitamins, biotin, and probiotics prior to, during, and after treatment, and feel it helped.

This horse was only stalled at night in winter, and was on soft ground all the time. I think if you give your horse time, exercise, and supplements, his feet will recover all, if not most of their previous integrity.

In all the years of rescuing foundered ponies, I have found that on biotin their feet grow out faster.... say 8-9 months as opposed to a year. But I think some of that growth was because I always exercised foundered ponies as soon as they were pain free. They were pastured (dry lot) and worked hard. I went round and round with one shoer because of this, but my experience was that they recovered much more quickly, and grew a better foot if shod and worked.

Hope this helps....

Julie (yuck! I just bit into a rotten spot in my apple!) Taking a quick break.... one of my goats is in labor! *smile*

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris