From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 10:00 PM
Subject: [RC] LD/Endurance Defined?

Barbara McCrary said:

I like the term "distance riding"....it fits LD rides, NATRC rides,
and just plain old Sunday rides of anything over 10 miles.

I am curious, what is so special about 10 miles?

Endurance riding has to be defined somehow, even if it is defined as
anybody who gets on a horse.  Otherwise, sitting at home knitting would
be endurance riding.

It is unclear to my why some people think that 25 miles is a better
definition than 50.  And it is also unclear to me why the people who are
currently in favor of redefining endurance riding to be anything over 25
miles think that this subject won't come up again in a few years when a
new set of novices want to redefine it as anything over 10 miles.

If the word is to have any meaning at all, a totally arbitrary line HAS
to be drawn SOMEWHERE. Make no mistake, as soon as you draw the line,
intelligent people will recognize that it is arbitrary.

50 miles seems to me to be a happy medium.

Personally, I don't think endurance riding starts until you get to 100
:).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton