RE: [RC] [RC] ? [RC] Gorgeous George, Tevis and I - Cowgirgoof

Hey Howard,
I'll have you know that Jim or his horse did not do this :-)
My guy had this intermittent grade one stuff beginning at Far Out Forest in
mid-February. Dane Frazier didn't really think too much of it (he had me trot
twice to really see it).
So even though my horse stayed sound on shorter rides, once the going got tough
his little inconsistency showed up.
What happened at Leatherwood was a wrench or sprain most likely and may or may
not have had anything to do with the ripped shoe.
This horse has been really sound for his eight year career, or I never would
have dreamed of taking him to Tevis. I believe that by trying to bump up his
speed just a tad, it was more than his big body and way of going could handle
(he weighs 1125 lbs). He never could have had a shot at completing Tevis going
the 6.6 mph trot he liked to do in CTR.
I'm excited about my decision because George is so perfectly built to be a
mountain horse.

And yes, Ed and Kathi are VERY kind to offer him, but they will be able to live
a dream through him too.
And yes, they will get free photos for life from me!!
You should have offered me a horse Howard! ! <BG>
Becky
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith