Re: [RC] [RC] Ensure - elsietee

Kathy Garner:
I do drink lots of water...I have 5 water bottles with me...
they were talking about snacks.  To me, water isn't a snack,
it's a necessity!

A very well hydrated rider...

Gah, I drank 160 oz of water at American River 50
on Saturday - and then downed 30 oz of Gatorade
at the finish line and was *still* dehydrated
(and it was only mid-80s).

The new Ensure with a screw lid is great. I can't
drink a whole can on one sitting, so glugging half
a bottle, then resealing and sticking it back in
the cooler for the next check works well (assuming
you'll be seeing your cooler again at the next
check).

Unfortunately, I was so trashed on Saturday, I didn't
actually get around to drinking *any* Ensure... which
would have helped cure some of the trashed-ness I
suspect. <sigh>

Still, getting into that state, although very
unpleasant, was good practise for Tevis - to figure
out exactly what is needed from crew at checks when
you are starting to deteriorate... which at my
current rate, should be around Red Star Ridge. :(

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland