Re: [RC] [RC] RideCamp -LDs. - heidi

Back in 1967, when Castle Rock ride was originated by Julie Suhr, it was
only 35 miles, as I remember hearing it.  This was only because it was
hard to find 50 miles of trail.  In 1969, starting on the coast on our
property, and with my husband's help in laying out a trail, it became a
full 50 miles. I truly do not know how many sub-50 mile rides there may
have been in those early years.

I don't know how many there were, either, but there were at least two
herein the NW--Caswell's and I can't remember the name of the other.  One
was 35 and one was 40.  When I started in the early 70s, those two rides
were just phasing out, and the idea that there could be more than one
distance at a given ride was just coming into being.  That was when there
were the 25s sanctioned for points.  It was sometime in the 70s--not all
that long after the inception of AERC--that the sanctioned 25s were
discontinued for the reasons I mentioned.

The rides kept having them as unsanctioned rides, but the points chasing
aspect ended, and they started to become more what we see today as LDs.

Heidi

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards