[RC] new riding tool/toy - Karen Casemier

I almost always sing when I'm riding Mazzie solo (I promise those of you in the GLDRA area, if you end up riding with me on a ride this season, I will NOT sing - I do not have a very good voice). After my accident, I would often get nervous on solo rides, and a friend suggested singing to regular my breathing (you can't hold your breath and sing at the same time). Works wonders for my nerves. I take my favorite songs and make up new lyrics that include Mazzie's name - she seems to appreciate being the center of attention.

As an aside, does anyone else ride a talker? I don't mean a horse that neighs or winnies, I mean a grumbler. Mazzie does this low grumble/grunt kind of thing when we are out trail riding (she does it occasionally during arena work, but it is much more noticable on trail). I used to think it was just her, but apparently there are certain Morgan bloodlines known for this trait. When I'm not singing, Mazzie and I often carry on a conversation - she starts grumbling, I start talking to her, she grumbles in resonse... I've noticed if I talk back to her, she talks even more. I swear, some times she is telling me a story - she'll really get talky when we pass certain spots on the trail (almost like "remember last time when that pack of beagles came racing down the trail next to use?"). Very entertaining for those riding with us. At the very least, keeps both of us from getting silly and spooky, because we are focused on each other.

Karen and Mazzie, the talker.

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring
Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue. Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether. The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it. ~ Heidi Smith