[RC] LBL Express--Appaloosa's Galore!--long - Sheryl Levin

Hello everyone,

My husband and I were lucky enough to attend the LBL in KY this past weekend
and be a part of a large concentration of some of the best Appaloosas
competing in Distance Riding around the US all at the LBL Express.

Being from the Midwest and never having ridden out of our region and this
was a true experience for me.  My sincere thanks to Diane and Jerry for
making this a truly a wonderful memory.

I went to this ride to promote the wonderful breed of Appaloosas that I have
been involved in for the past 35 years; riding them in open shows as a
youngster and then competing on them in UMECRA in Competitive for many many
more years.  :)

My horses did well for me even though they had less conditioning on them
than I like to see and the description of the trail to us had been rolling
hills and flat trails.  LOL  I smile now "Yep you all were right rolling
hills and flat trails; but coming from WI those looked like some awful BIG
hills to us!"  LOL

My mare Easy did GREAT even though I pulled her after 40 miles.  Her heart
rate just wouldn't come down and I was not going to force it down when I
knew she was tired.  The 22 mile loop that we did was the most beautiful but
also the toughest trail we had ever done.  Being that this was her first 50
miler and I had not ridden Endurance in many many many years we learned
several things about ourselves.  We start our UMECRA season in two weeks and
she will be out there fully sound and capable to complete her second attempt
at a 50 miler.  She is happy and sassy after her 12 hour ride home yesterday
and is feeling quite good.  She will be off until Thur and then we will do
some light conditioning.

My gelding, who is my partner in everything, completed the 25 miler on
Saturday in good shape.  I was being a bit more conservative than I probably
should have been but this was his first ride of the year also.  He is happy
and sassy today and HUNGRY!  Of course, he is an Appaloosa and is ALWAYS
hungry but it is a welcome sign.

Thanks again Diane and Jerry, the trails were awesome, though we were wet
for the four days we loved it!  Plus once your wet you can not get much
wetter right!?  Diane, as a ride manager of a ride in the Midwest, I will
think of the things that you do to put on your ride when thinking I am
overwhelmed with the process here.  I appreciated your efforts tremendously.

Thanks again for welcoming the Appaloosa's with open arms in the SE and we
will be back someday that is for certain.

Congrats goes out to all of you that were involved with this ride!  Thanks
again!

Sheryl Levin
NC's Easy Goer
Truly Twister Bee

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland