[RC] prolonged colic- poisoning?? - GoTory

Now that the immediate crisis is over, I have time to ask for advice...
We rode last weekend in cool, misty weather at Lake Oroville, Northern CA-  3
horses from 2 different barns who split up and rode 2 different trails.  Nice
ride, no racing, just walk/trot conditioning for about 2 1/2 hrs. All drank
well, from different troughs on the different trails.
We met back at the parking lot at the Saddle Dam area and let the horses
graze for  5 to 10 minutes in the grass, also hoping to avoid horses peeing in
the
trailer for the short (45 min) ride home...
Within 15 minutes of arrival back at the respective barns, all 3 horses had
patchy sweating- necks, shoulders, flanks... continued to sweat heavily, no
appetite, poor water intake, mild colic symptoms.
The next day, 1 was better, 2 were worse... the 2 were at one barn... obvious
colic symptoms... vet out twice, both were tubed- one in the morning, one
late afternoon, as they would seem to get better, and then worse again...
continued to have colic symptoms for 3 more days, hyperactive gut sounds, off
feed,
low water intake, pawing and lying down frequently, flat or worried
expressions, despite Banamine being given twice a day. The horse who was at the
other
barn had had the same symptoms the week before after grazing  briefly in the
same
area, but recovered without vet care.
We have ridden these trails and let the horses munch in the same place
numerous times over the past years, and have never had a problem like this-
very
scarey.  It appeared at one point that hospitalization for IV fluids might be
necessary as this went on for several days. I think we avoided that with the
use
of a juicer and about 35# of carrots... (can you feed TOO many carrots in a
case like this???)
We came to the conclusion that they were poisoned by something in the grass.
The county says they haven't sprayed there.... possibly someone illegally
dumped a toxic substance there instead of taking it to a hazardous waste dump.
The blood drawn on my horse was all within normal limits except a very slightly
low potassium.  No liver or kidney damage, at least as of midway thru this.
CBC normal.  Now back to about 95% of normal behavior, although manure
production remains about 2/3 of normal.

Other than not letting them graze in that area again, I'm seeking some
advice.  Who would one contact for testing the area for either poisonous plants
or
herbicides or contaminated ground?  Recommendations for further recovery for
the horses?  Any suggestions would be most welcome- I really don't ever want to
go thru this again.

Thanks in advance-     nikki
People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond