Re: [RC] start with LD or CTR? - heidi

I'm starting my first season of competitive riding this year, and I'm
wondering which would be best to start with: CTR rides, or LD rides. I
do  want to start at the lower milage and work my way up to a 50 mile at
the end  of the season.

Depends on you, your horse, and the availability of a choice.

Based on my experience volunteering, it seems the attitude of the CTR is
 more laidback - however, with the LD, I don't have to worry about
matching a  pre-set pace at all. If I feel I need to back off (or I need
to let my horse  out a bit), I can go at my own pace.

Both good points--which is more important to you?  Does your horse still
need "Trail 101" and need the benefit of the more controlled pace to keep
his wits about him?  Then CTR is the obvious choice.  If his natural pace
does not conform to CTR, but he rates well for you, the LD is the better
choice.  Do YOU feel you need the structure of CTR for your own learning
curve?  That's another consideration.

In the long run, I do want to do 50 mile endurance rides, but there are
a  few multi-day CTR rides in my area that I'm also interested in, so
I'll be  dipping my toes in both. In my area (GLDRA), most of the LD
rides are on  Sundays, so I have to consider that as well. If I do the
25 mile CTR on  Saturday, I can stay overnight and let my horse rest
before heading home. If  I do the 25 mile LD on Sunday, I need to head
home Sunday night. Most rides  will be about a 3 hour trailer ride from
home.

Probably not an issue at that level.

What would be the benefits/drawbacks of each approach? How did you guys
start out?

Sounds like you've pretty well summed them up already.  The only thing you
haven't addressed is whether you have a horse that needs the longer
mileage right from the git-go to get his attention.  I presume you don't
think you do, since you've already put some thought into choosing to start
with shorter distances.

How did I start out?  I did three 40-mile CTRs (no novice distance, not
NATRC, average pace 6-7 mph--I've ridden several 50s slower!) only because
that was the only game in town, so to speak.   Then I went to endurance
and did a 100 for my first ride.  That was my "first career."  Then with
the onset of middle age and health issues that caused me not to ride for
several years, I DID take advantage of LD to start back on my "second
career."  I don't think going that short a distance was the right thing
for my horse, but it was the best thing for ME--I would have had a hard
time dragging myself back out to do 50s under the circumstances without
having the LDs for a stepping stone.  Everyone has to deal with their own
circumstances.

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm