[RC] Drinking rate on trail/the hottie Pt 2 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Mary Kornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Duh, I just remembered when Heather Reynolds was training
for the 2001 Pan Ams, she reportedly rode Red with a
HORSE BLANKET while on training rides. It worked; she won
and he got BC.

My Hottie already seems better acclimated after a week of
heat, although temps here in VA have moderated somewhat.
Moving or training further to FLA isn't an option! My 2
jobs keep me pretty tied down.

Interested factoid for all of us who have ever been asked
by a vet "how much did your horse drink on trail?" Cherry
Hill's book on horsekeeping says a horse drinks about a
gallon every 30 seconds (which is a LONG time on trail -
time it and see). My horse usually just drinks for less
15 seconds, or about a half gallon at a time. SO now we
can all tell the vets with reasonable accurancy how many
gallons were ingested during the loop : )

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton