[RC] [RC] Access to Public lands - sherman

You all might want to check out this website. I think they'd be helpful if you want to get a similar organization established in your state. We do need to get involved & stay informed about our public lands.

Kathy

 http://www.acequestrians.org/

The Action Coalition for Equestrians (ACE) works to preserve and expand the availability of Northern California public trails for equestrian use.

ACE was formed in 2002 in response to a number of cases where historically available trails throughout Northern California were being withdrawn from public use in general or from equestrian use in particular.

The reasons for these threatened trail losses are diverse. They include among others...

  • Land Development that does not take trail preservation into account,
  • Public Land Management Agencies that suddenly shift their view of what constitutes "the Public Interest," and,
  • Private Landowners who withdraw permissions in fear of potential lawsuits by recreational users who may hurt themselves on the property.

Local community equestrian and trails groups rarely have the resources to confront these situations and often lose valuable time in trying organize an effective response on their own.

ACE seeks to provide timely, appropriate action on behalf of its individual and organizational members, gaining leverage both from its larger support base and from its continuity of involvement with Trails Advocacy.

ACE is a non-profit membership-based organization supported through individual annual memberships. It also welcomes and acknowledges the donations of businesses and of public and private organizations.

ACE actively seeks alliance with local hiking, biking, riding, and multi-use trail clubs. It relies on these groups to bring forward potential or unfolding issues and to offer the benefit of their experience to date in any given situation. If your club, organization or business would like to consider association with ACE, contact us for full information. We can meet with your Board and/or provide a speaker for your next membership meeting.