[RC] baking soda for muscles? - DeborahHuebsch

Hi Guys

I'm lurker brought out of the shadows by a question.  I have a 9 yo gelding who had 4 LDs before I bought him almost 4 years ago.  He had a stifle injury soon after I got him home (he was born in TX and his body had never known steep hills before), took a year off and has come back nicely.  I did 2 LDs in the fall and winter and his first 50 in Jan.  The problem, I have noticed that after steep downhills (I usually get off and go down on foot), at the end of a tough conditioning ride, at the end of a week of a total of 20-25 miles, his hind end gives out on downhills.  It feels as though he is collapsing a little.  His muscles will recover after 5-10 minutes of flat work.  I asked my vet (non endurance savvy) and he suggested MSG.  I asked my chiropractor and he suggested a scoop of baking soda every day.  I had a blood panel drawn on him and it was totally normal.  The thought is that he has some lactic acid "thing" going on.  I have 2 other 50 milers currently doing rides and they give me a good basis of comparison.

My questions are:  has anyone else encountered this problem?  If so, what have you found?  What supplements work best?  What about baking soda?  What about MSG?  He gets MSM every day and injectible glucosomine once a month.   BC2A has also been suggested, but it is prohibitively expensive.

He' s a neat guy and I'd love to have your comments/suggestions/experiences.

Thanks.
Deborah (in S. Calif.)